Monday, September 14, 2009

And A Few More Firsts......

This has been quite a week!  Of course, getting to meet our new babies was HUGE!  But, I had to get on here and post a few pics of a few other "firsts" this week.
Wednesday was Emma's first day of kindergarten!  She has been so excited to be in kindergarten this fall and seems to be growing up so fast lately.  Here are a few shots of her morning:


I don't think Jakey really understands this his sis is going to be gone EVERY morning.  He's actually done great with her gone, but did say to me in the car on the first day in the saddest voice, "Mama, where's Emma?  I miss her."  Oh honey, just break my heart, why don't you.

Finding her own backpack & coat hook with her new teacher, Mrs. O'Connor.



As if going into kindergarten wasn't enough, Em had her first soccer game this weekend. She's had classes at the indoor soccer club this last fall, but now she's on an actual team where they have uniforms and play "real" games.  She'll have a soccer game every Saturday thru mid November.  She and her teammates were so cute learning how to play out on the field - about 90% of the time playing hard and about 10% of the time stopping to check out the occasional grasshopper or discuss whether their jerseys should be tucked in or hanging out.  Emma did a great job - scoring 3 goals during the course of the game.

Kicking it down the field......

Scoring her 1st goal.  Yeah!!

GREAT job girls!!!  So stinkin' cute.

Way to go, Em!



Among all the other really cool firsts this week, I wanted to say thank you to my sweet friend Chelsea (who is training me for a 1/2 marathon coming up in January......my first running ANYTHING in my whole life) and by doing so helped me do a 4 mile run last Saturday morning.  To say I was intimidated about this would be an understatment.  But I finished the 4 miles successfully in 41 minutes.  Chelsea said this was pretty good, so I'm trusting her.  It's sort of embarrasing, but I was so overwhelmed with the fact that I ran the 4 miles, I started crying when I finished.  I've been so out of shape for so long it seems that I thought there is no way I could ever run ONE mile, let alone four.  What a feeling that was to finish the run......a first for me for sure.

This week will be a busy one for us with a few other things starting up as well as all the paperwork, phone calls and appointments to take care of for the twins.  We have 10 business days to officially "accept" their referral - which includes a consultation with an international pediatrician, tele-conference with our agency regarding travel and transition planning, filling out and notorizing various documents and coming up with one last whopper check to seal it all up.  After all that is completed, we are then waiting for an Ethiopian court date......likely to be in early November.  We should get that date sometime in October.  We have burned holes in the 5 pictures of the girls from looking at them so much and can't help but wonder what they are doing or who is holding them or how they are feeling at any particular moment.  I think it about all throughout the day.
  

I've got to go to bed, but I'll end this long post with Jake's bedtime prayer tonight.  "Dear God, Thank you for this day and please take care of my baby sisters and don't let them cry.  And don't let them get up and then fall down and crack their heads open because that would hurt so so bad.  In Jesus' name, Amen."

Sooooo, can you guess what I've been warning Jake NOT to do with his own head?  Uh huh.

8 comments:

A.H. said...

What a great family! I'm looking forward to meeting your little girls...if we travel together. We are waiting for a court date!! We got our referral one month ago just before we could get one. E-mail sometime (hnsly24@yahoo.com). I'm curious about what other families are doing with their older kiddos and how they are feeling about leaving them. I'm a little stressed.

whitneypratt@ymail.com said...

Congratulaitons on your Firsts this week!! all are def BIg firsts!! So excited for you about running 4 miles and training for a 1/2!! I always make excuses why I don't have time to run, but I need to just get out there and do it. You are encouraging to me! I so think (and pray) that we will be traveling together- in my head, it sure makes sense! What a special day- Sept 10!!! What an amazing day to see our FIRST child for the FIRST time!!

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

Aww...love firsts....so fun. See you are bringing Jake some new fun so he won't miss his big sis so much! He he he. Lots of prep. We should get our referral paperwork today- maybe we will travel together???

Jenny R said...

That's so sweet he missed his sister. That's so exciting to have a referral for twins. If you get a court date in November you'll have them home for Christmas!!! How exciting!

Sara K. Parker said...

Oh my goodness! Your son's prayer cracked me up! So cute!

We are going through the same thing with our little one now that his brother is at school every day. We are now starting to find normalcy after 3 weeks of school. Our little one really misses his brother and built-in playmate. :)

I am so excited for you guys, and so glad you posted. I love the pictures, and congrats on the 4 miles. That is AMAZING! I ran my first ever anything in May. It was 3.1 miles and I did it in 37 minutes... and I thought I was going to die at the end...so I'd say 41 for 4 miles is INCREDIBLE! :) I'm inspired...

milreb said...

My goodness, there is a lot going on in the Andersen family! So fun to think you will double the firsts with your twins. Thoroughly enjoyed the photos and your post. :)

amber said...

You have a beautiful family! Call me when things slow down a little! amber

Tony and Megan said...

Oh my gosh, I have so many comments...

1: Congrats to you Melissa!!! I don't think I have ever ran 4 consecutive miles in my life! It is great that you are doing something for yourself and it will be awesome for stress relief! Which 1/2 are you doing?

2: I can't believe Emma is in kindergarten. Tell her congrats from us. Her backpack is almost as big as she is!

3: Sweet sweet Jake!

4: What is Michael up to?