Friday, September 11, 2009

And so WHO is Behind Door #1????????

Today is THE day we got the answer to that question!!!


It was such a quiet and laid back morning. Michael left at 8:20 to take Emma to her 2nd day of school and then went off to work. Jakey and I waved goodbye to both of them and went inside to quietly work and play. And that's exactly what we were doing until 10:09am, when our phone rang and I noticed it was All God's Children.







I had emailed Julie over the weekend letting her know we had a few questions for her and she had written saying she would call back to chat about them.  So I assumed that's what the call was about.  When Julie told me she had something real important to talk with me about and said the news was really big, I started crying and almost couldn't breathe.  I asked Julie to hold on a sec so I could get a movie into the DVD player for Jakey (so that he would be occupied for THE call) and sat down in the office.  It was then that Julie told me that she was calling to talk with us about 6 week old twin girls!!  I began shaking so badly I couldn't even write.  I know Julie is used to emotional responses, but I didn't want to totally lose it.  My efforts were in vain though because I could hold it all in only for a moment before soon my crying and gasping spilled over on the phone.  I just could not believe this was happening!  Twins???  Two girls???  Six weeks old???



I don't know how long we were on the phone, but Julie told me all about their known history, medical information and other important details.  By all accounts, they appear to be wonderfully healthy little girls.  Their first names both start with the letter "Z."  By the time she went over all the information, my eyes had glazed over and all I wanted to do was call Michael.  I could not believe he was gone for this and I just wanted him to be here with me.

 


Julie and I hung up and I immediately called Michael.  His phone went to voicemail.  Called again right away.  Voicemail.  Called again a 3rd time.  Voicemail.  UGH!!!!  Are you serious?  Answer your phone, Mikey!!!!  So, I sent him an email so it will pop up on his blackberry if he was in an appointment with a client & he can't answer his phone.  I only typed three words in the subject line: 
CALL ME NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


 



And can you believe it, he STILL didn't call.  By now, I'm walking around the house weeping and hyperventiliating - in a serious state of shocked joy.  Jakey is still watching "Cars" totally oblivious to the fact he just became a big brother.  I wait 5-10 minutes on my knees in the living room, just praying to God through my tears.  I then call Mikey a 4th time and he FINALLY answers.  I still am crying so hard I can barely talk.

 


I only could muster, "I need you to come home." 
He says, "Are you ok?  What's wrong?" 
"Julie called.  Come home!" I reply.
"Is it good or bad?  You sound upset." He said nervously.
"It's good, but I need you NOW!" I cry.
Without a second delay, he says, "I'm on my way."



Meanwhile, Julie has sent us the email with the pictures and all the documents about the girls.  I wanted to open the email SOOOOOO badly, but Michael and I agreed that when this moment came we would do it as a family.  So during the long 10 minute drive home, I waited for him on the front porch.  When he pulled in, I walked out to meet him in the driveway and I immediately told him that Julie called with our referral.  And he was dying to know, saying tell me, tell me!  I was still crying and all I could say was "Well, they were born on July ___ and they are 6 weeks old."  And he stops me and says, "THEY?"  And I said, "Yes!  They!  I know!  Why do you think I'm freaking out?"  And he doesn't believe me!!!!!!!!  He thinks I'm messing with him, cracking a joke, making a funny.  This, I suppose, is the hazard of having such a joking, goofy relationship with your spouse.  Even when you're dead serious, he thinks I'm trying to make him laugh or pull his leg.  After who knows how many minutes of us loudly going back and forth in the driveway with, "I'm serious!"  "No, are you serious?"  "Yes!  Stop!  It's twins!"  "What?  There's no way!  Don't joke about this - are you serious?" he realized this was real and we just held each other.



By now, it's almost time to pick up Emma from school, so we load up with Jakey and all go get Emma from school.  Since I'm still teary, it only took a matter of minutes for the news to be shared with all our wonderful school moms, friends & teachers who were SO excited for us.  And then we got to tell little Em, who looked so shocked by all the commotion, we could tell she didn't really understand what was happening.  So we went home and all together went straight to the computer to see the pictures of our new babies.  And that was the first moment we saw them.  The first feature that stood out to all of us was their eyes.  They have huge, beautiful eyes and they reminded me of Emma & Jakey when they were babies.  They, like the twins, are just all eyes.  Amazing.



After seeing our new babies for the first time, we started a whirlwind of phone calls, emails & such.  We decided to drive up to Portland to get the referral packet today (because to wait for it come overnight would take WAAAAAY to long).  We got to see Julie & Emily & Becky & Megan and others of course who gave us hugs and big congratuations.  What a loving & supportive group of people we've been blessed to know at AGCI.  We also got to stop and see my mom and Nana and show them the girls' pictures.

 


Unbelieveable.  The reality of this blessing is still sinking in as I write this.  We are humbled that God has chosen us to be the parents of these adorable baby girls!!!  We have stared at their pictures all day today and cannot believe they are half a world away with no idea there is this family here just dying to meet and hold them forever.  Emma & Jakey were so sweet with all the chaos.  As we tucked the kids into bed, Jakey prayed again tonight (as he does every night) that his baby sisters won't cry.  And Emma spent 10 minutes describing to me in the dark how she wants to change her room for her "sis sis's" cribs & clothes.



So....as much as we would LOVE to post their pictures on here for all to see, we are not allowed to do that as they are not legally our children yet.  We were given 5 pictures of them and I cropped the one picture of them together so you can see their tiny hands......to see just one beautiful part of them.










What a day......a day where our family of four became a family of six.  Thank you Lord for this amazing blessing & overwhelming joy!!




21 comments:

emily v. said...

YAYYYY!!!!! Congratulations!! I am overwhelmed with joy for your family today!! So amazing!!

A.H. said...

What a blessing. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully my little man is watching over your girlies at H.H. We are waiting on a courtdate, so maybe we'll travel together. Have fun today, tomorrow, and for many days to come just staring at those darling pictures.

Brian and Heather said...

What an incredible story! So excited to get a first row seat as God unfolds His plan for your family. Hope we get to travel together and I can see your girls!!
Congrats again!! =)

Unknown said...

I am so overwhelmed. Those little girls are going to be so lucky to have you as their parents - and Emma and Jake as their siblings. Thanks for the tears first thing in the morning!! LOL!

Congratulations!

Mason Mama said...

I am weeping right now for you! SO excited and I cant believe it. Twins how wonderful. When we flew back from our trip a couple had 3 month old twins girls and I thought how often can that happen? and here it is happening again. God blesss you guys and cant wait to meet these precious girls!

Val said...

WOW, WOW, WOW!!! A double blessing!! Congrats, Mike and Melissa!!! What fantastic news...made me emotional just reading it. Can't wait to hear more and see pictures! Very excited for your family!!! :-)

Chris and Amanda said...

Truly a wonderful day and a blessing from God. Wow! It's going to be chaos when we get together now, as if it isn't already. We're so happy!

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

SOO Thrilled for your family!!!!! WOW doesn't get any better than that- a phone call with 2 precious souls. Praying for a court date & can't wait to hear of your travels. Now you get to buy twice the fun cute clothes!!!

the Skips said...

geez, i can't stop crying about this! what a miracle! love how you cropped thier picture on here!

Jenny R said...

Congratulations! Your post made me cry too! We also drove to AGCI for everything.. I was so impatient. They really are great, and I work about 15-20 minutes away from them. We'll be praying that you can bring your girls home soon!

The B Family said...

Tears of joy! So happy for you! Congrats!

Tony and Megan said...

We are so happy for you!!! You have an awesome, loving family and if anybody will provide a wonderful life for these two precious little girls, it is you guys! Any idea when you will fly to Ethiopia to bring them home?
All our love!!

The Cherry Tree Farm said...

Ah! I wasn't crying until I saw their little hands. Such sweet things. I am so happy for you, and praising God for His kindness. Love you all, krissi

Christie said...

I am so excited for your family!!!! There precious little hands are so cute!!! congratulations!!!!!

Anita Olson said...

I don't have the words to express my joy at your news. Other than I know how high this high is. And I'm praying for your family! All of you!!

milreb said...

1st read your post this afternoon from my phone in the parking lot before heading into a meeting at work. Little did I know what I was in for. I had to explain to the folks in the meeting why my eyes were red and mascara a mess. What an overwheling perfectly lovely pair of gifts. I am overjoyed for you! Thank you for sharing your story. Now weepy all over again. :)

Aubrey said...

Congratulations on your twins! Their hands are beautiful!

Stutzman's Eight By Grace said...

We are thrilled for you! What an amazing adventure this is and what great little blessings! Keep us posted and maybe I can call ya next week! amber

Sara K. Parker said...

Whoo-hoooo!!!! I LOVE your referral call story! This is just simply amazing! What cute little hands! I can't wait to see their gorgeous eyes and precious smiles.

What a blessing. Congratulations!

shaneandmalia said...

Melissa I can't stop thinking about the girls!!!! I am so thrilled with the awesomeness of our God and humbled by His blessings....I can't wait to hold your blessings:)

Malia

Andrea Young said...

Stumbled across your blog and now I'm in tears! We just started our adoption process with AGCI and this entry reminds me WHY I'm running around like a crazy momma doing all this paper chasing! I am so THRILLED for your family! Praying for your girls! This is AMAZING!!!!