Monday, December 29, 2008

A Christmas Wrap Up

It's hard to believe that Christmas has already come and gone again this year. I must sound like broken record because I swear I say that same thing every year. Time does goes by faster the older I get. What a unique Christmas it was this year. All the snow and winter weather the week & 1/2 before and up to Christmas Eve & Day changed our plans quite a bit. Rather than being up in Portland on the 24th, we stayed home (postponing plans with Michael's family) and most of my family came down to Keizer and stayed the night here. So, Christmas Eve & Day was spent together with my family in our home. We had a GREAT time together. Really, we just hung out, ate food, played games and had a nice time being together without the constraints of time, other social obligations or traveling back to our respective homes. Here I thought the snow was just fun and special because I so often hope for a "white christmas," but I now realize the the true blessing of the snow was that it gave Michael and me the gift of TIME!!! God gave us the gift of time during that time of year when we are usually running around like crazy people. School was canceled, a field trip was canceled, we couldn't go to a work party, Michael postponed work appointments and we were able to be home - together - focused on spending time with each other. Despite my constant watching of the news and the up-to-the-minute forecast, it felt like our little part of the world was quiet.....for the first time that I can remember since having kids!!! It was WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!! And even though the snow and ice began to melt on Christmas Eve and by the time Christmas Day was over I could feel normalcy returning already, I was so aware of what an awesome Christmas this had been - all because we were given a gift of time that only God could give us - go figure!!!!! The true meaning of Christmas fills every part of our lives during this time of year even in ways we may not realize until afterwards.
While reading in the bible about the birth of Jesus in Luke 2 this Christmas, I was impacted by verses 17-19 which reads, "When they [the shepherds] had seen him [Jesus], they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child, and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them. But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart." I've been a little sad that Christmas is over and even a little sadder that all the snow is gone. But, what a BLESSING that I can still "ponder" this Christmas and all that it meant to us this year. It's so easy for me to get caught up in just the moment, the day, the event or whatever and be sad when the moment passes (this is bad habit of mine)........but I was reminded after reading Luke that our gift of time was not just for us to enjoy in that moment, but was a gift that I should also "ponder in my heart" after that time has passed. Isn't that the essence of Christ's birth as well? We cannot return to that very moment that He was born - that day is long gone. But, we can FOREVER ponder that moment and what it means - WHAT HE MEANS - to us in our little part of the world. Jesus is the gift. Jesus is the blessing. That is something I want to make time to learn more about each day, each week, each month, year after year, Christmas after Christmas.......and I won't be waiting for a snow day to actually do it.
Well, after having my mind spill out on this post, here are a few shots of Christmas Day........

Christmas morning - Emma wondering why the heck she got a football tee along with her brother.......I don't know.....ask your daddy.

Grandma and Mommy helping to open the new legos - woo hoo!

Check out Jake's new sword. Watch your eyes and extremities next time you come and visit. He's armed (and yes.......dangerous)!

Aren't they cute???? Jake, Emma and their cousins Chase & Catherine all lined up eating Christmas dinner.

Emma got a new Ariel nightgown. She wasn't excited to wear it or anything.

We hope all of you had a FUN & BLESSED Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Being forcibly snowed in has its benefits, doesn't it? Seriously! Sometimes, having to be quiet is the best thing on earth -- I doubt Mary could have pondered anything in her heart in the midst of noise and bustle. It must be the hardest thing for us mothers to find (quietness, I mean). I'm glad you had a peaceful Christmas -- we thought of you on Christmas Eve. We had Scott's mom here as well as Mom and Dad and Rob.

Your gifts for the kids were huge hits. Mara calls her nightgown "the party dress," which I think is hilarious. The bear is absolutely perfect for Emily's current craft obsession. And Steven announced that the magnet building set was his "favorite present." And he's played with it constantly ever since! How good you are at picking presents!

Love you -- krissi